In 1848 the South Aisle was reconstructed in memory of Thomas Tipping of Davenport Hall at a cost of £1,800, the original south aisle (which was similar to the Nave and north aisle) being replaced by a stone structure in the Norman style.
|While the foundations of the Chapel were being dug, an ancient Saxon Cross was discovered and may be seen placed in a niche above the arch almost opposite the south porch of the Chapel; so it would seem that the site of the Church has been used for religious purposes from the earliest time.|
A family vault lies beneath the Tipping Chapel, holding the remains of the family.
The three stained glass windows in the Chapel carry the theme of the ‘resurrection’, whilst the Rose Window at the East end depicts ‘the Lamb of God’ (1848). In 1851 the Font was given by Miss Hall, and now moved to the door recess in South Aisle (and original Norman Font replaced in restorations). In front of the font on the floor are 4 tiles with the Coat of Arms of the Tipping family.
For pictures of the Font and the Resurrection Stained Glass Windows please see the Image Galleries.